The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry
Earn up to 24 AMA PRA Category 1 Self-Assessment CME credits
Note: If you would like to subscribe to previous years, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-368-5777 or 202-459-9722.
Select Subscription Type
Focus, APA's quarterly clinical review journal, is designed for practicing psychiatrists to keep abreast of significant clinical knowledge and advances in the field through self-directed lifelong learning. Focus is the best resource for clinical synthesis, expert guidance, lifelong learning, and maintenance of certification. Four issues each year provide comprehensive reviews of major clinical areas of psychiatry. Focus also provides an organized learning and self-assessment program with 44 hours of CME each year.
An annual subscription to Focus addresses core areas in psychiatry, with each issue overseen by a Guest Editor clinical expert in that area. This thought leader works with fellow experts and advisors to deliver an issue that keeps you abreast of the field. Each issue includes:
- Articles on new clinical developments and the current state of practice
- Features designed to improve your ability to evaluate, diagnose, and manage clinical problems; communicate with your patients; and handle ethical dilemmas
- Curation of the important publications that have shaped clinical thinking in the field
Each issue also includes a quiz that allows you to earn up to 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits—for a total of up to 20 per year—and all this can be done quickly online, with your CME certificate available immediately. An annual subscription also includes unlimited online access to all past volumes at no extra charge (CME for previous years' issue quizzes not available). Each issue emphasizes a clinical topic. Recent topics include:
- Anxiety and Stress-Related Disorders
- Children's Mental Health
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Mood Disorders
- Novel Neurotherapeutics
- Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Psychotherapeutic Engagements with LGBTQ+ Patients
Because the practice of psychiatry extends far beyond the core areas covered in Focus each volume year, we've introduced new features intended to capture additional and emerging areas of clinical interest:
- 21st-Century Psychiatrist—With advances in treatment and medical knowledge as well as changes in regulatory requirements, systems of care, and models of care, this feature provides brief updates that help the busy practitioner know where to go and what to do to stay current and compliant.
- The Applied Armamentarium—This feature presents evidence to fill the gap between results from regulatory trials and treatment management in the clinic.
- Communications Commentary—Designed to highlight potential communication dilemmas in the field, this feature provides information and best practice for effective communication skills to enhance lifelong learning of this essential skill.
- Ethics Commentary—This column through case examples offers clinical ethics questions and expert answers to sharpen decision-making skills and advance clinical care in the field.
- Patient Management Exercise—This feature tests the ability to evaluate, diagnose, and manage clinical problems through questions that follow a case.
Your subscription also includes the annual Focus Self-Assessment Examination, written by practicing psychiatrists and clinical experts. Completing this 120-question exam allows you to earn an additional 24 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits and 24 ABPN approved self-assessment credits. It includes the opportunity to anonymously compare your knowledge against that of your peers. It is also approved for Section 3 of the Maintenance of Certification program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
With a subscription to Focus, you'll know that you are keeping up with the clinical information you need to know and the MOC requirements you need to fulfill. Simply put, there's no easier, more reliable approach to keeping your clinical skills sharp while continuing your psychiatric education and meeting CME and Maintenance of Certification requirements.
The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) has reviewed Focus: The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry and the Focus Self-Assessment Examination and has approved this program as part of a comprehensive lifelong learning and self-assessment program, which is mandated by the ABMS as a necessary component of maintenance of certification.
The Focus Self Assessment Examination is an accredited self-assessment program (Section 3) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and was approved by the Canadian Psychiatric Association. You may claim a maximum of 24 hours (credits are automatically calculated).
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) has received accreditation with commendation by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The American Psychiatric Association designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 44 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
To visit FOCUS online, please visit http://focus.psychiatryonline.org
Mark Hyman Rapaport, M.D.
- Patient Management Exercise
Ian A. Cook, M.D., Associate Editor
- Ethics Commentary
Laura W. Roberts, M.D., Associate Editor
- Communication Commentary
Dorothy Stubbe, M.D., Associate Editor
- Senior Advisory Board
Carol A. Bernstein, M.D.
Kathleen T. Brady, M.D., Ph.D.
Peter F. Buckley, M.D.
Pedro L. Delgado, M.D.
Glen O. Gabbard, M.D.
Ira M. Lesser, M.D.
Charles F. Reynolds III, M.D.
Pedro Ruiz, M.D.
Stephen C. Scheiber, M.D.
Daniel K. Winstead, M.D.
Joel Yager, M.D.
- Editorial Board
Josepha A. Cheong, M.D.
Richard Balon, M.D.
Donald M. Hilty, M.D.
Geetha Jayaram, M.D., M.B.A.
Avram H. Mack, M.D.
Vishal Madaan, M.D.
Daryl Matthews, M.D.
Cheryl F. McCartney, M.D.
Philip R. Muskin, M.D.
T. Pato, M.D.
Victor I. Reus, M.D.
Cynthia W. Santos, M.D.
Deborah Spitz, M.D.
James W. Thompson, M.D., M.P.H.
Joyce A. Tinsley, M.D.
Sidney Zisook, M.D.
- FOCUS Self-Assessment Editorial Board
Robert J. Boland, M.D.
Arden D. Dingle, M.D.
Laura Fochtmann, M.D.
Suzanne Garfinkle, M.D.
James W. Jefferson, M.D.
Vishal Madaan, M.D.
Annette M. Matthews, M.D.
Deepak Prabhakar, M.D.
Brenda Roman, M.D.
Marcia Verduin, M.D.
Eric R. Williams, M.D.
About the Authors
Mark Hyman Rapaport, M.D., is Chairman and Professor of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences and the Polier Endowed Chair in Schizophrenia and Related Disorders at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California; Vice-Chairman and Professor in Residence in the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
Carousel Control - items will scroll by tabbing through them, otherwise arrows can be used to scroll one item at a time