The Evidence-Based Guide to Antipsychotic Medications
The Evidence-Based Guide to Antipsychotic Medications is designed to provide both clinicians and residents with focused, comprehensive, and clinically relevant information regarding the use of antipsychotic medications to treat a broad range of psychiatric conditions—from mood and anxiety disorders to substance abuse, personality disorders, and schizophrenia.
The volume editor is a renowned psychiatrist and author with more than 25 years of experience in both clinical and research settings diagnosing and treating patients with mood and psychotic disorders. In addition, each of the volume's 13 contributors is an expert with many years of clinical experience to draw on.The book is down-to-earth and reader-friendly and is structured for maximal utility in both coverage and format:
- Key Clinical Points cap each chapter, synthesizing and summarizing the knowledge you can take away, and serving both as a refresher for those using the book as a reference and as a study aid to master the material.
- Both FDA-approved and off-label use of antipsychotic medications are addressed, reflecting the reality of clinical practice on the front lines.
- Use of antipsychotic medications in both the pediatric and geriatric populations, a potentially controversial subject, is addressed in a nonsensational, straight-forward manner.
- The Appendixes provide a wealth of information in tabular format, including drug tables (names, strengths, formulations, pharmacokinetics, and dosing); advice on initiating and monitoring antipsychotic medications; common side effects and their management; and special considerations for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The Evidence-Based Guide to Antipsychotic Medications is the first in a new series that strives to take evidence-based psychiatry from gold standard to standard practice. Scientifically up-to-date and rigorous, yet accessible and easy to understand, this volume stands alone as an indispensable resource on the topic.
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Chapter 2. Schizophrenia and Schizoaffective Disorder
- Chapter 3. Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Chapter 4. Personality Disorders
- Chapter 5. Substance Abuse Disorders
- Chapter 6. Use of Antipsychotics in Children and Adolescents
- Chapter 7. Use of Antipsychotics in Geriatric Patients
- Chapter 8. Use of Antipsychotics in Medically Ill Patients
- Appendix 1: Names, Strengths, and Formulations of First- and Second-Generation Antipsychotics
- Appendix 2: Pharmacokinetics of First- and Second- Generation Antipsychotics
- Appendix 3: Dosing and Administration of First- and Second-Generation Antipsychotics in Schizophrenia
- Appendix 4: Medical Workup When Initiating and Continuing First- and Second-Generation Antipsychotics
- Appendix 5: Medical Workup When Initiating and Continuing Clozapine
- Appendix 6: Use of First- and Second-Generation Antipsychotics for Agitation Due to Psychosis
- Appendix 7: Side Effects of Commonly Used Antipsychotics
- Appendix 8: Management of Treatment-Emergent Side Effects of Antipsychotic Medications
- Appendix 9: Use of First- and Second-Generation Antipsychotics in Pregnancy and Lactation
- Kristina M. Deligiannidis, M.D.
David F. Gitlin, M.D.
Gerardo Gonzalez, M.D.
Michael D. Jibson, M.D., Ph.D.
Bruce Meltzer, M.D.
Ruben Miozzo, M.D., M.P.H.
Jayendra K. Patel, M.D.
Anthony J. Rothschild, M.D.
Kenneth R. Silk, M.D.
Marcus W. Tjia, M.D.
Ellen M. Whyte, M.D.
Douglas Ziedonis, M.D., M.P.H.
About the Authors
Anthony J. Rothschild, M.D., is Irving S. and Betty Brudnick Endowed Chair and Professor of Psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry at University of Massachusetts Medical School and UMass Memorial Healthcare in Worcester, Massachusetts.
The Evidence-Based Guide to Antipsychotic Medications provides both a thorough scientific and historical review of antipsychotics and a highly practical clinical summary of the evidence base of the use of these agents across a wide range of psychiatric disorders. Replete with helpful tables and key clinical points, the guide should be a great asset to patient care for clinicians, from residents to experienced experts.—Paul E. Keck, Jr., M.D., President-CEO, Lindner Center of HOPE, Lindner Professor of Psychiatry & Neuroscience at University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Rothschild and colleagues have produced a wonderful compendium of knowledge about the use of antipsychotic medications for a wide spectrum of disorders. The chapters that review hard-to-assemble information about off-label indications will be particularly useful to clinicians. A terrific addition to any clinical bookshelf!—Paul S. Appelbaum, M.D., Elizabeth K. Dollard Prof of Psychiatry, Medicine & Law; Director, Division of Psychiatry, Law & Ethics, Dept of Psychiatry, Columbia Univ College of Physicians and Surgeons
This textbook on antipsychotic drugs is comprehensive and well written and will be an important tool for clinicians in the management of their patients. This book is easy-to-read and offers practical information on how to use antipsychotic drugs. It is recommended for trainees, medical and mental health professionals, as well as patients and their families who wish to have the knowledge base of antipsychotic drugs at the tip of their fingers.—Carlos A. Zarate, Jr., M.D., Chief Mood Disorders Research Unit, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health
This is a good, practical, evidence-based clinical approach to the use of antipsychotic medications for a variety of disorders and in special populations. The pages are of high quality paper that resists tearing and makes annotation easy. The tables and bullet-point summaries are very useful in comprehending the material. I appreciated the appendixes, which are a useful review of some key core points in the usage of antipsychotics. This is a good evidence-based guide that any clinician can pick up and use - and it is reasonably priced.—Steve Paschos, M.D., Doody Enterprises, Inc., 5/1/2010
Carousel Control - items will scroll by tabbing through them, otherwise arrows can be used to scroll one item at a time